Back to Archives
TAKE ACTION LI (TALI)
As a reminder, it was decided that one email will be sent out each month with a list of activities and information to share during that month. This will allow each local to share the information following a timeline that best works for its local. Please be aware that you may receive additional emails if a Town Hall or other events come to our attention.
Dear Fellow TALI Activist:
Melinda Person joined the steering committee at our February 28 meeting.
- Spoke positively about our efforts
- NYSUT is now increasing accountability and efforts of PAC
- Communication between TALI and PAC was discussed and encouraged
- Understanding that if TALI looks to “reach out” to a specific legislature similar to the Martins’ letter, we will inform NYSUT legislative department and check if there is something in the works that we should be aware of
- Steering Committee encouraged Melinda to utilize our group
- Discussed possibility of Endorsement Conference may be moved up to the second scheduled Committee of 100 meeting in May.
- Attached is a list of the voting percentages of each local from last November that Ron Smith had provided at LIPC. You are encouraged to share your local’s numbers with your members. Also attached is a sample flyer that was put in mailboxes in Massapequa, which you can use as an example.
- To receive a list of your local’s members on excel that includes their senator/assemblyman, the president of your local needs to email Dave Adkins at email@example.com and request the “Activist List” as per TALI.
- Continue to share any information you may have regarding Town Hall Meetings.
- Once your District has made public the impact of the Tax Cap, please share the cuts and other losses with Frank (firstname.lastname@example.org) to be used for informational purposes during “Education Week”
- To cover the cost of the website and this list-serve, each local is asked to contribute $25 dollars. An account is being set up and Diane Saunders has volunteered to be our treasurer. (Thank you!) We will let you know who to make the check out to once the account is established.
Calendar of Events:
- This is as an FYI…we are not asking for you to attend (especially since it is the same night as the Contiguous ED) but in case you are interested:
"Advocating For Our Public Schools; A Long Island Treasure"
Join Gary Bixhorn and your colleagues from the L.I. educational community for an informative evening as we examine the strengths of the Public School system on Long Island which support our students in becoming upwardly mobile in their academic and career goals.
Wednesday, March 7, 2012 - 6:00 - 8:00pm, Wang Center, Stony Brook University
Free for PDK @ SBU members; all others will contribute $10 to the PDK Scholarship Fund. Light refreshments will be served.
Membership applications may be found on-line at: http://www.pdkintl.org/join/
- Watch for emails regarding Town Halls…no dates at this time
- Next Steering Committee meeting is scheduled for March 27 at 4:00 – Suffolk locals have been invited-Please be prompt due to meeting following this meeting
SAVE THESE APRIL DATES:
• Spring Meeting for all TALI Members April 19, 2012
• County-Wide Community Education Week Plan by Rally Committee April 30-May 5: This information is in the process of being formalized but mark your calendars now!
- Teachers and possibly other unions in each local will attend after-school activities and Saturday Little League/sports games to bring awareness to the community about the potential impact of the Budget Vote (Tax Cap).
i. Dance schools, gymnastics, after-school programs, shopping centers, fields, etc.
- Flyers will be handed out.
- One side of the flyer will be common issues impacting all Nassau Schools, the other side will have specific issues to the district (loss of programs, increase in class sizes, if budgets fail = 0% etc.)
- Place the same ad in all Heralds and/or Patch. Look into advertising on Google or Facebook (use Vote Cope dollars).
- Order buttons (Daphna will need number of members per local) for everyone and wear them all week “May 15th – It Matters”. Wear Local shirts
It is unfortunate that with the coming of spring we also have our most difficult time…budgets, board elections, contract and APPR negotiations. Although our union is struggling right now, we must stay united and work to strengthen our house together.
Tomia and Arthur
TAX CAP: "Some men rob you with a six-gun -- others rob you with a fountain pen." -Woody Guthrie
This e-mail was sent by NYSUT, located at 1000 Woodbury Road, Suite 214, Woodbury, NY 11797 (USA). To receive no further e-mails, please click here or reply to this e-mail with "unlist" in the Subject line.